Wednesday, September 26, 2018

A quote lovers' reflection...

I've always loved quotes. Visual reminders that fill your mind with positive thoughts, pushing out the negative like a bulldozer!  I've always had a knack for writing, words and language. That doesn't mean you should ask me about adverbs, adjectives or pronouns!  I mean, I know they add something to the structure of a sentence, telling you who, what, where, when, why and how.. yada, yada and so on. My love of words and writing began early because of just how powerful they are, and in this case, powerful for the good! I LOVE coloring! The adult coloring book trend will never go out of style for me! Is it because I can't draw anything but a stick person to save my life? Yes, but that's our little secret!  I love coloring pages that put good thoughts in your head and heart. I colored one not too long ago that said, "Life is Sweet" (the one that's pictured, in fact!)  That statement got me thinking. Sometimes that statement can mislead others into thinking that you must not have any problems and that everything is rainbows, unicorns and candy corn for you!!  But, that's not always the case.  Life is about choices. The things that shape you and the experiences you have gone through are many times dealt with privately, not viewed by the eyes of others.  When you have something that plaques you, whether it was years ago or more recent, it takes time to come to grips with pain, emotions and frustration.  Then it takes coping strategies that allow you to put things into perspective and move on stronger and more resilient then before. Granted, the negative emotions will rear their heads and you will have to work with that, but acknowledging those emotions is nothing more then being human....That's OK!  You can also be proud of how far you have come. Think about it. Whatever the mountain you are climbing or have climbed, didn't defeat you! It may have knocked you down for a bit, but you got back up and are still fighting, still breathing, your heart is still beating and just think of all those who love who you are and are cheering you on!  I'm writing this post to tell you I've been through every ounce of every feeling and emotion I've put on this digital page! I am here to tell you it does get better and even now, when the negative emotions do come, it's not so earth shattering. It takes constant effort, but the effort is well worth it.  So, the next time someone asks: "How are you?" You say "Good!"....you're really saying, "Life is Sweet" and I'm still a work in progress!

Michelle Fischer is host of A View from My Window, a podcast produced  by The Arc of Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment