Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Disability Awareness Month 2016: Where am I now?

March is Disability Awareness Month each year.  I have to admit, I actually kinda geek out during this month! Yes, we do get covered on the news a bit more and I get to see the cool things that others do to celebrate the month.  I especially love the the humorous and empowering t-shirts! Most importantly though, I reflect on how far I've come in my life.  From the day of my birth and my parents wondering if I would survive the first couple days of life, to being a journalist in the field of my choice! Of course, there was a lot of hard work in between.  I've come to realize that I'm the same as everyone else, but drastically different. Goals and aspirations are slow to come, at times.  My brain, I say, is able-bodied, but my body is slow to follow!  Giving up, though, would never do anything good for me so I refuse to give any time to the idea.  Instead, I look to build up! The key to helping myself is helping others. Whether it's a warm hello with a smile, spending time with friends and family, shopping for gifts for friends, sending cards, writing, working with my team on my podcast and interviewing incredible folks...all this builds me up and gives me the strength to continue to shine and be the happiest I can be everyday! So, this year for Disability Awareness Month, my advice to you is something that Scott Chesney said, an international speaker from Verona, NJ, recently interviewed on my podcast: "Don't let something life changing happen to you before you make a change". There are always going to be challenges, emotional ups and downs, bumps in the road, things that can cloud your vision, but always ask yourself: "Would you want it to be worse?" It could be worse in an instant. You have the power to choose your attitude toward whatever situation you find yourself in. Happiness is where it's at, people! :)  You are more than your disability tells you you are!  I want you to be able to look back on 2016 Disability Awareness Month and be able to say: Where am I now? I'm farther than I ever thought possible! What a GREAT choice....Right? :)

3 comments:

  1. I am with you on the T-Shirts.

    I know this is not a disability but it is along the same lines. When I worked at a rheumatology clinic I saw a patient wearing a shirt that said, “Sons of Arthritis”. It was designed to look like a biker’s cut from the TV show “Sons of Anarchy”. I love that he was able to laugh at his condition.

    Jason Hayes @ Decorm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Its great when people can find humor in dealing with there situations in life, isnt it? Thank you for your comment Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Its great when people can find humor in dealing with there situations in life, isnt it? Thank you for your comment Jason!

    ReplyDelete