Friday, November 20, 2015

Organization Profile: IPAS

IPAS, or the Indiana Protection and Advocacy Services, was recently featured on "AView from My Window".  I love profiling "new" (to me) organizations who work hard to give people with disabilities a life that is full and meaningful.  IPAS simply wants everyone to be treated the same, which means having the same human, legal and civil rights as everyone else.

The team at IPAS, Executive Director Dawn Adams and Director of Communications Jessica Trimble, plus the dedicated interns on staff are very dedicated to their mission and responsibility of providing the needed support to the disability community in navigating the legal and human rights system, which can be very lengthy and confusing.  What's impressive about Jessica and Dawn is their motivation in helping the folks they serve.  They seek knowledge from other organizations like The Arc of Indiana and the imput from others, including myself, regarding what protection and advocacy mean to us.  The concept of advocacy wasn't even something I could have wrapped my head around, until I started my job at The Arc of Indiana, and saw how much it was promoted and encouraged.  The more confidence I 've gained in coping with my disability, the more appealing advocacy has become to me.  I found that I could implement advocacy in different ways and in different areas of my life.  Advocacy is a gift that is to be shared, so that not only you can live the life that you want, but more importantly so that others can live the life they want and deserve!  

If you or someone you know would benefit from the services IPAS offers,  feel free to contact Jessica Trimble at IPAS  phone: (317).719.3944
                            (317).722.5564 (fax)
                         Email: jtrimble@IPAS.IN.gov

Michelle Fischer is host of A View from My Window, a podcast produced, by The Arc of Indiana www.arcind.org/AViewfromMyWindow

Listen to Dawn and Jessica talk about what IPAS offers in our interview here:  http://www.arcind.org/a-view-into-ipas/

No comments:

Post a Comment