Tuesday, April 5, 2016

''My disability doesn't define me, and I don't want it to define you." - Scott Chesney

I was on the lookout for an interview for my podcast and it just happened that I logged on to my Facebook page and there was an advertisement for Mobility Works. The video was 58 seconds long and that's all the time I needed to know that I wanted to ask Scott Chesney if I could interview him on my podcast! I was instantly motivated by the words that make up this blog post title!  As a life coach, Scott has spoken to over a million people in 38 countries.  But, that's not all... He's been happily married for 16 years and has two beautiful kids!  Oh, did I mention that he has a condition that affects the middle to lower portion of the spinal cord called a "sleeping volcano" which means it can cause a hemorrhage at any time, causing paralysis?  Scott is definitely someone who doesn't let his disability define how he lives his life.



He was asked, "If one word was used to say who you are, what word would you want that to be?" His answer was "real".  He realized that if you're real that's how your connection to people begins to take shape and to grow.  No matter what the outside of a person looks like, now matter what their situation is, they have real potential.. They can be who they want to be!  Scott says "the only disability in life is a bad attitude".  Scott has come to the point in his life where he is confident in where he is, where he's going and how he's going to get there!!  Now, Scott has turned his story and his struggles into motivation for others!  I'm so glad I've come to know Scott and I know that when you listen to this interview you will be happy and motivated yourself!  Defining how disability fits into his life was a choice Scott had to make in order to not be stopped by his challenges... and his story is proof that GREAT things are possible and new liberating definitions of your life can be written! 

Listen to my interview with Scott here: http://www.arcind.org/view-with-scott-chesney/

Scott is also a spokesperson for Rowheels! Check out their website here! http://www.rowheels.com/

Michelle Fischer is host of A View from my Window, a podcast produced by The Arc of Indiana




No comments:

Post a Comment