Monday, March 5, 2018

Zach Anner: Showing others that whatever life throws at you, make lemonade and show life who's boss!




 
To say I was just KIND of excited to interview Zach Anner at this year's Arc of Indiana Annual Conference would not even come close to adequately describing my feelings. Zach won Oprah's OWN tv show reality competition in 2011.  There were so many things I wanted to cover, but there was so little time. Let's face it, nobody has time for an overzealous "fan girl" anchor!  There were so many things that I respected him for, that I could not fully express because I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable or make it seem like I had an agenda or make it seem like the only reason that I was interviewing him was because he's a celebrity!  In this blog, as a thank you to him, I would like to tell you why I related to him in many ways.  It all started back in 2005, long before there were competition shows and a guy named Zach Anner.  I had graduated high school and really had no specific plans for myself and I was angry and depressed for several years after that.  I stayed stagnant for years...and then one day my vision cleared, and I thought, "being this depressed and down is not getting you anywhere."  Enter 2011, the OWN reality show and a guy from Texas who seemed so sure of himself... I also knew, from going through my own challenges and struggles, that Zach, who was so confident, poised, funny, brilliantly talented, and showing all his imperfections on NATIONAL TV in front of millions and in front of the most powerful woman in TV history, didn't just magically happen.  His being picked for the show, being a contestant in the competition, and winning didn't just fall in his lap. He worked for every last bit of the success he acquired.  In fact, his having cerebral palsy was giving him the opportunities that he had dreamed of.  Zach had the mindset that "these are the cards I've been dealt, I'm going to take this hand and beat the house with it!"  I saw that I could view my cerebral palsy that way too...and when I started to put my challenges and obstacles in a positive light, things went from looking bleak to opportunity galore!  Because of this mindset, his career has skyrocketed!  He has been a writer/guest star of Speechless, a Youtube star, an author, and there is no telling what else is in the wings for Zach!  Now that I have met him, it gives me even more motivation to redefine what it means to have cerebral palsy...take it by the reigns and NEVER look back!  Back then and now, he shows that it's okay to have flaws and imperfections.  You get through them, everyone does, and you won't die.  You may have a few scars, bumps and bruises, but nothing that you can't rise up from and THRIVE AND SUCCEED!  Now, it's time for me to confess something, I don't think I brought the best of myself to this interview.  In a attempt not to be giddy, I held back in being my usual peppy self and just letting the interview take on my usual conversational style.  I got in my head too much, I think, and if I would have told him some of the things that I wrote here, I think a little bit more of a connection would have been made so that the interview could have flowed a little more.  I regret that part of it, but honestly I had the best time meeting Zach, hearing his advice and his perspective on his life, challenges and success.  He came with his writing partner, Gillian Grassie, who is rockin' success too, being a singer/songwriter and harpist!  I really wish we had more time to talk because these two people are helping each other be the best they can be, and it has had a major pay off!  Love that!  Maybe someday we will all be together again and maybe we will just have a round of strawberry milkshakes! (that's a line he used in a Soul Pancake video where he interviews his grandpa). With all my thanks to Zach and Gillian for coming to the Arc of Indiana Conference and sharing with us your time and talent!  You both are AWESOME SAUCE!!

Take a look and listen to Gillian Grassie: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK04TKFfWek

Hear my interview with Zach here: www.arcind.org/podcasts/a-view-with-zach-anner

Michelle Fischer is host of A View from My Window a podcast produced by The Arc of Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment